• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Eating sketchy meat...

spacefacethebassace

Bluelighter
The other night I brought a couple of cooked hamburger patties home from a little house party and dropped them on the floor when I had to climb in my window. I then left again and returned home the next day to find the patties still sitting in a baggie on the floor.

I put them in the refrigerator figuring I could just cook them again. Today, I took one out, cut it up into little pieces, tossed out the charred edges, and fried the pieces in butter. I ate a couple of them with some red beans and rice, but they tasted a bit off so I threw the rest away.

Has anyone here had any experience eating twice cooked meat? I know that it certainly doesn't qualify as 'healthy living', but I am somewhat concerned that I may have just done something very stupid, and I'm looking for a bit of reassurance that I'm not soon going to die of E. coli poisoning. Thank you all for your time.

it has been an hour and twenty one minutes since you made this thread.

if you are currently barfing and shitting your brains out (I can only assuming you're doing this, since you aren't logged on now), you have your answer. if you aren't barfing and shitting your brains out, you will be fine, since food poisoning would have kicked in by now.

PS. stop eating floor meat. stop eating meat in general :)

Well, I'm currently doing just fine. Although I can say that I've had food poisoning before that took about 8 hours to kick in.

And as for eating meat in general...it was free, I couldn't resist. I don't typically eat meat unless it is of a very high quality (which I can't afford to buy) or if it's free. I won't usually turn down free food, no matter what it is.

Anyways, thanks for your reply.

Woo Hoo - Free meat off the floor ... What could possibly go wrong :D

it has been an hour and twenty one minutes since you made this thread.

if you are currently barfing and shitting your brains out (I can only assuming you're doing this, since you aren't logged on now), you have your answer. if you aren't barfing and shitting your brains out, you will be fine, since food poisoning would have kicked in by now.

PS. stop eating floor meat. stop eating meat in general :)

Some forms of food poisoning can take days to set in. People often assume that the last thing they ate must be what made them sick, but its not always the case.

To the OP, don't eat "sketchy meat."

Some forms of food poisoning can take days to set in. People often assume that the last thing they ate must be what made them sick, but its not always the case.

shit, I've been thinking that was the case all along 8(

good thing I gave up floor meat + meat all together! %)

I think if you get it up to a certain temp, all harmful bacteria and fungus die. However, I would guess some toxiins from bacterial process may remain. Just a guess...

I think if you get it up to a certain temp, all harmful bacteria and fungus die. However, I would guess some toxiins from bacterial process may remain. Just a guess...

That was my reasoning.

I mean, at the time, I had relatively little food. And I like eating meat, I didn't want to waste this free hamburger.

I never got sick, by the way. In any case, I won't be eating twice cooked meat again, it didn't taste very good anyways.

LMFAO

If I recall correctly from my food safety training the maximum time meat can be left out is 4 hours, otherwise bacteria etc can begin to grow.

yeah you don't want to eat any meat that's been left out even if you do cook it very well.

I hope the OP isn't sick food poisoning sucks.

whatever you ate couldnt be worse than taco bell. taco bell seems to always give me food poisoning.. ick.

Well, science has proven that 5 minutes is the max time you can leave something safely on the floor. It is the time that bacteria need to scamper back after running away from a large falling object.

But actually, whether the meat is still good depends on how hot and humid it is in your place, how it was prepared, and wrapped in the baggie. Most definitely if this happened in my country it would be disgusting and in the early stages of decomposition after a night out of the refrigerator (unless it was charred, cooked in vinegar or in a preservation manner), but you are okay. Just don't do it again.

Re leaving meat out.
With game like pheasants one used to string them up with a rope around the neck in a barn or some other unheated place and when the pheasant fell off , head detaching, it is ready to be cooked.
No one ever got ill by doing that, as long as it is properly cooked.

Meat is basically a dead corpse that was an animal that was butchered in front of other animals being butchered...thus...creating mass fear and dis-ease into every cell in their body...

now imagine putting that damaged dna into you dna and what do you know???

Fear and loathing after eating it...no wonder our heads spin into all directions...and fear and doubt loom like shadows, we eat sick things...

unless you raise and kill you own animals with the greatest of Love and care...plant foods that are treated kindly and nurtured...only then, maybe will we feel any sense of well being...

anyways, EnJoy!

If the meat was in a baggie, it doesn't matter if it was on the floor or left out on a kitchen counter. I've left cooked meat out on the counter overnight and never had a problem with reheating it afterward.